Yes, I realize that summer squash is easier to find and of better quality in the summer, but this recipe is a family favorite for the holidays. I acquired this recipe several years ago from a very sweet lady who I admired very much. It was a favorite in her family, too. When I first made this for my husband’s family, they were a bit skeptical, most of them are not squash lovers, but they were willing to try it, and now they ask me to make it for almost every holiday dinner! It is so super good! And who doesn’t love a casserole? I hope you will enjoy this as much as my family and I do!
Yellow (Summer) Squash Casserole
6 cups very thinly sliced squash
1 small onion, very thinly sliced
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1 cup grated carrots
1 stick salted butter, melted
1 box chicken flavored Stove Top Stuffing Mix
1. Cook the squash and onion in salted boiling water for 5 minutes and drain.
2. In a large bowl, mix the soup, sour cream, and grated carrots together. Add the squash and onion to the mix.
3. Mix the butter with the stuffing in a separate bowl. I usually add a couple of tablespoons of water to make the stuffing a little more moist, but if you want yours crispier, leave it as is…the choice is yours!
4. Pour the squash mix into a 9×13 casserole dish. Top with the stuffing mix. Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes.
5. Enjoy! Make sure to share it with your friends and family…they will thank you for it!