My kids and I love Quaker Chewy Granola Bars, but it has recently come to my attention that these are probably one of the most unhealthy granola bars on the grocery shelf…no wonder they taste so good. So, I decided to try to make my own granola bars at home and found a great no bake recipe to try. The kids were able to make them with almost no help from me, and they taste unbelievable. No more store-bought granola bars for me and my family!
Here’s the step-by-step recipe with cute pics of my kiddos in the kitchen. Enjoy!
No Bake Granola Bars
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup crispy rice cereal
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Choice of mix-ins
1. In a large bowl, mix together the oats…
the rice cereal…
and the coconut. Set aside.
2. In a small sauce over medium high heat, melt the butter.
Add the honey…
Stir together and allow to come to a boil. When the boil has reached the edges of the pan, begin timing for 2 minutes and 15 seconds.
3. Remove from heat and add the vanilla.
4. Pour this mixture over the oat mix and stir everything together until oats are completely coated.
Allow to cool.
5. Add your choice of mix-ins. We did cranberry white chocolate chip. Add 1/2 cup of each ingredient you choose. So for ours, we added 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips…
and 1/2 cup of Craisins.
You could add nuts, pretzels, chocolate chips, dried fruit, or candy…anything you think you might like in a granola bar. Don’t you just love the freedom!?!
6. Press the mix into a 9×13 pan…
and stick in the fridge for 20 minutes.
7. When cool, turn out onto a cutting board. (I had to tap the bottom of my pan gently with a knife to release the granola.) Cut the granola in 16 bars…
I also did my own batch with salted peanuts, peanut butter chips, and chocolate chips. It turned out very yummy!
Hope you have as much fun making your granola bars as my kids and I did.